The way we start our day is usually an indicator of how the rest of the day will unfold. If we stub our toe as we get out of bed, we might get a wee bit frustrated and, because like attracts like, we bring into our day more things to be frustrated about. We cannot always wake up in a glorious mood. I know there have been more than a few times where I wish I could just stay in bed. But the reality is, we can’t. So what can we do to ensure that our day starts (and stays) on a good note?
Establish a beautiful morning ritual.
In an ideal world, I would get up at 5am, meditate for 20 minutes, journal for another 20 minutes, make a delicious breakfast, have a wonderful shower while listening to uplifting music and then set my three most important tasks for the day.
How nice it would be to do that! But it just ain’t realistic. With an 11-week old baby, routines go out the window. But there are things that I do make sure I do in the morning that helps me to start in the right frame of mind. You might want to adopt some of these for yourself. The key here is to be gentle and flexible. Don’t box yourself in with strict routines (unless that feels totally freeing for you). The point here is to feel good. So do what makes you feel good.
Morning rituals I make a point of including:
- Saying thank you and feeling gratitude as soon as my eyes flick open.
- Meditation, at least 10 minutes, sometimes just after I’ve given His Royal Cuteness a bottle.
- Lighting a candle. Candles remind me of the amazing spark that lives within us all. The spark of pure potential.
- Eating a nourishing breakfast, often including a cup of hot water with lemon.
- Spending 10 minutes to tidy and declutter my space.
So what could you do each morning to get yourself in the right frame of mind and start the day off feeling good?