Yesterday I was driving some back roads, through a rural part of Sydney, avoiding traffic. As I was driving, I was listening to an interview of Tina Arena, Australian singing super star. (She is the ultimate talent!) I had started listening to the interview as a form of keeping my mind busy and not wanting to think about anything too in depth. But this interview blew me away.
Tina, almost 50, has a lived an incredible life and experienced so much. So of course she shared some amazing pieces of advice and gave her opinion on several topics including aging and being authentic. There is so much that we can learn and apply to our own lives to make the most of each day.
Here are my top lessons from that interview:
- The older you get, the less you care about what other people think. What other people think is far less important than what you think of yourself.
- If you see something that doesn’t sit right with you, say something. Speak up. Voice your opinions. You might be saying what everyone else is thinking but too afraid to say themselves.
- Where you are right now is perfect. Stop trying to be somewhere else, someone else. You need to be here and really experience this in order to move on.
- Don’t judge your past. You did the best with what you knew at the time. Sure you might choose a different path now but that is only because you are more experienced.
- See social media for what it is. A tool. It shouldn’t replace human connection. It shouldn’t replace actual conversations.
- Know your worth. Don’t let anybody put you down or make you feel bad about yourself. You have special talents and gifts that are uniquely yours. Celebrate that.
- Embrace your family. Embrace the supports you have around you.
- When you feel helpless, help someone. It can be easy to get wrapped up in our own little stories or issues and forget that there are other people struggling with far more. Having that perspective can really help to ease your own suffering.
- Always say YES to adventure
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. Have fun. Lighten up. Enjoy the moment.
So, what are your favourite lessons from the above? And reflecting on your own life, what have you learned that you think other people would benefit from knowing? I’d love to hear from you. Come on over and share with me on my facebook page.
Make sure you don’t miss out on any inspirational posts from me, sign up to my daily e-newsletter.