I know pressure. I know all about that red hot feeling of being put on the spot and needing to perform above expectations. I know that stress and anxiety of trying to meet near impossible standards.
Not just at work but also at home. Wanting to be the best mum, best wife, best friend. Sometimes the pressure is INTENSE!
Have you ever felt like this? Our first reaction is usually to run away. Hide. When the “fight or flight” instinct hits, FLIGHT seems like the safest option. But it is not always what is best.
In those moments where you can’t run and need to push through the pressure, what can you do to stay calm?
Here are my top tips for staying calm under pressure:
- Breathe. So often when we are feeling stressed or anxious, we hold our breath and take shallow breaths. Take deep, long breaths. It will instantly bring your adrenalin down.
- Drink some water. Slowly and thoughtfully.
- Write out a plan of attack. I find this to be one of the most soothing actions to take when feeling under pressure because it helps me to regain control.
- Delegate. Who can you enlist help from and support from? You don’t have to do it all on your own. There are no rules that say that. Get help, it will change your life.
- Talk it out. Say, out loud, what is getting you stressed out. Voice your anxiety. It can really help reduce the intensity.
- Plan out worst case scenarios. It can feel relieving to walk yourself through all of the various “worst case scenarios” and how you would handle them if they ever came to fruition.
- Take a break. Give yourself some space. Go for a walk. It can help to clear your head, allowing you to handle the pressure a bit better.
- This too shall pass. Remember that everything is temporary and repeat this mantra to yourself. Picture yourself in a sprint. It’s full on, it’s intense but it’s short. It will be over soon.
- Remind yourself: You are a diamond. Diamonds are pieces of coal that have been put under pressure. At the end of this, you will be a diamond. Remember that.
- Approach it like a game. Take away the stakes. Strip back the importance. What if it was just a game and you were doing this for fun? How would that change your approach?
So there you have it. Those are my top 10 tips of staying calm under pressure.
If you liked this blog post, make sure to not miss out on future ones by signing up to my daily inspirational e-newsletter. Click here to sign.